Who we are
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA UK) is run by a small group of committed individuals. These include office staff who are trained and experienced in dealing with people affected by pulmonary hypertension (PH). They deal with a range of projects and activities on a daily basis including:
- dealing with incoming donations
- sending out membership packs and relevant literature
- organising events such as the PHA UK conference, family weekend and meetings for various medical professionals
- collating stories for our quarterly magazine (emphasis)
- dealing with the ordering and despatching of PHA UK merchandise
- managing fundraising events and entrants into events such as the London Marathon, BUPA 10k run and Just Walk
- applying for grants with charitable trusts
- mailing important information and news to PHA UK members.
The office is continuing to develop to suit the needs of our supporters and we look forward to speaking to you if you have any queries or feedback that we can help you with. Unfortunately we are not able to offer medical advice and we would always recommend that you speak to your PH specialist centre, consultant or GP.
Iain Armstrong – Chairman
As well as being a nurse consultant who specialises in treating people with PH, Iain is the co-founder of the PHA UK and oversees all of its activities.
Along with Iain, our Chairman, who is also a trustee of the PHA UK, we have a team of dedicated trustees and patrons who work behind the scenes for the PHA UK. Our patrons include well-known TV personalities as well as healthcare professionals who work with people with PH.
Kay Yeowart – Trustee and Secretary
Kay has been a trustee and the secretary of the PHA UK since it was formed in 2000. During this time she has worked extensively on a wide range of projects and activities. Kay’s son, Lewis, was diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in 1998.
Tom Siddons – Trustee and Treasurer
Tom has been involved with the PHA UK since 2001 and has been the treasurer since 2002. Tom has worked in the field of PH since 1997, where he first worked on his PhD with Professor Tim Higenbottam at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield. During that time Tom was heavily involved in the clinical trials of all the current treatments for PH.
Since leaving Sheffield and completing his PhD, Tom has worked in the pharmaceutical industry running clinical trials in the field of PH, in particular for Pfizer and Actelion.
Sue Townsley – Trustee
Sue has been a patient at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield since being diagnosed with PAH in 1999. Sue has worked in the Media and PR department of a government agency and uses this knowledge and experience to help produce the majority of the printed material for the PHA UK. She is now a ‘mature student’ currently studying Applied Arts at Coventry University.
Tracie Pannell – Trustee
Tracie has been an actively involved member of the PHA UK for many years rising to the challenge of becoming a trustee. Although recently bereaved (Tracie sadly lost her beautiful and courageous daughter Leanne to PH very recently), Tracie maintains responsibility for the PHA UK message board and on-line community.
Sam Khan – Trustee
Sam, who lives in the London area, joined the PHA UK as a trustee in 2002. She was first diagnosed with PH at Papworth Hospital in 1990. Sam is currently Head of Production for a confectionary company in the south of England. Sam has a wealth of managerial experience and is putting this knowledge to good use by helping the PHA UK with various projects
Our patrons include:
- Professor Sheila G Haworth (British Heart Foundation Professor of Developmental cardiology, Great Ormond Street Hospital)
- Professor Tim Higenbottam (PH specialist consultant, now working in the pharmaceutical industry as a senior scientist developing new therapies for respiratory diseases)
- Derek Fowlds (film and TV actor)
- Valerie Singleton OBE (TV personality, radio presenter and writer)
- Dr Chris Steele MBE (GP and TV personality)
- Professor Richard C Trembath (Professor of Medical Genetics, King’s College London and Director of the National Institute for Health Biomedical Research Centre, Guys and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London.
- Dominic Hurley – Motivational Speaker
The 2016 PHA UK annual general meeting will be held at the Pullman St Pancras Hotel, London, on Tuesday 6th December. Please contact email@example.com for further information.