Coronavirus and Pulmonary Hypertension Coronavirus Advice

Carers & coronavirus

Reviewed 1st June 2020 at 09.24am

We know this is a worrying time for carers as well as those living with PH.

The below information has been taken directly from the Carers UK website, and we will be working to add to this section with our own advice and resources specifically for the pulmonary hypertension community.

What is the latest advice for unpaid carers?

The government has recently published (8 April) some specific guidance for carers of friends or family during the coronavirus outbreak. If you are caring for someone who is deemed to be extremely vulnerable, take extra precautionary measures by only providing essential care and ensure you follow the NHS hygiene advice for people at higher risk.

If you are providing essential care, it is vital to stop and self-isolate if you start having symptoms of COVID-19 – these include a loss of smell and taste or the more commonly known symptoms of a persistent cough or fever.

This guidance provides information on matters such as finding alternative care quickly and on what to do if you or the person you care for has symptoms. If you have symptoms, find out what the process is with regard to being tested on our FAQ page

No matter where you are based in the UK, if you have symptoms of coronavirus you can request a test to see if you have the virus for yourself or on behalf of someone you care for – see this NHS page for more details. In England and Scotland, you can also be prioritised for testing as a recognised key worker if you are an unpaid carer.

The government advises the public to consider wearing face coverings in enclosed public spaces where you may be more likely to come into contact with people you do not normally meet.

Carers in Scotland can request personal protective equipment (PPE) to support their caring role. The Scottish Government has provided guidance for carers on what PPE is needed and when. In the first instance, you should contact your local carers centre – use our directory to find your nearest centre.

In Northern Ireland, specific guidance for unpaid carers can be found on this page.

Click on the links below for further information on:

Protecting who you care for

Making a plan

Working and caring

Staying safe (FAQs)

Managing food and medication (FAQs)

Benefits guidance (FAQs)

Practical guidance (FAQs)

The BBC have produced this short film that gives important advice on how to care for someone with symptoms of coronavirus.

Last medically reviewed: June, 2020 • Due for review: June, 2023