Managing energy bills

It is important to let your energy provider know that you or someone you live with has pulmonary hypertension. Suppliers should provide extra support to those classed as vulnerable, and making sure you are on the Priority Services Register is the first step.

A drop in the price cap means that from July, households will see a significant fall in their energy bills. The price cap limits how much suppliers can charge households for each unit of energy they use.

From 1st October 2023 the energy price cap is set at £1,923 a year for a typical household who use gas and electricity and pay by Direct Debit. 

How to save money on your gas and electricity

Citizens Advice have this list of simple ways to spend less on energy bills – which doesn’t include turning your heating off!

These helpful energy-saving tips from the BBC are designed to keep your bills lower.

How to get help if you can’t afford your energy bills

If you’re struggling pay, or think you may struggle soon, please speak to your energy supplier as soon as possible. Ofgem has this information on getting help.  

Energy suppliers who offer grants to their customers

With thanks to the CF Trust for the following information on this page

If your supplier isn’t listed, it’s a good idea to contact them directly to see what extra support they can give you.

British Gas Energy Trust (BGET)

The BGET fund for individuals and families, open to non British Gas customers, is now only available for those on prepayment meters. They priotise people who cannot get a grant from their energy provider. Read about the BGET online application form on the British Gas Energy Trust website.

Other support available

  • Disability charity Scope offer free energy and water advice to disabled people, helping them to manage their energy and water needs.
  • Citizens Advice provide information regarding energy costs and support available.
  • The WaterSure scheme allows certain water users to have their bills capped, if on a water meter and someone in the home has a medical condition which requires a significant use of water.
  • If you can’t afford to top up your prepayment meter, you can ask your local council or food bank for a fuel voucher and they may be able to provide one. This is a code given to you in a letter or in a text message or email, which you can use at a PayPoint shop, Payzone shop or Post Office to add credit to your gas card or electricity key.

 Support for energy bills in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland


  • Nest offers a range of free, impartial advice and, if you are eligible, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating, insulation.
  • In Wales, the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) provides grants to help with essential costs after an emergency or help you or someone you care for live independently.


Northern Ireland

  • In Northern Ireland, the Finance Support Service supports people in need of short-term financial assistance through the Discretionary Support scheme.