living with Pulmonary Hypertension

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is not legally required. However, it is advisable that you have it in case anything goes wrong with your holiday. Travel insurance can cover a variety of things, depending on which policy you choose. It’s very important to read the small print to see what is covered and what is not.

If you have pulmonary hypertension (PH), you will need to tell the insurance company before getting travel insurance. If you don’t, you may not be covered. Unfortunately, most standard policies do not cover you if you already have a medical condition. In addition, because PH is a rare condition, many standard policies for people who already have medical conditions will not cover PH. Because of this, if you have PH, you should be prepared for travel insurance to cost more.

The British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) can provide you with a list of insurers who cover people with PH. For more details, visit the BIBA website, or phone the helpline on 0870 950 1790. We have also compiled a list of insurance companies that cover people with permanent or recurring illnesses.

Last medically reviewed: November, 2015 • Due for review: November, 2018